Support adventures

I’ve said many times that support is mostly useless, and that support metrics do more harm than good.

I’m currently involved in a migration from an old 6.0 environment to 7.x (this means that we have to install a clean 6.0 in the new servers, upgrade to 6.6 then upgrade to 7.x), so, as 6.0 is out of support, the downloads aren’t available. Of course, this means having to engage with support, while the customer approaches OpenText reps to get the installers. As expected, the support way was quite short:

Me: Can we have access to the Documentum 6.0 for Linux/Oracle installers in the download section or in the FTP?

Support: Unfortunately Documentum 6.0 is out of support .You can access the documentum content server 6.6 and later versions

From a support metric perspective, this gaves support “premium” rating:

  • Incident resolved: check.
  • Time from opening the case to closing it: 2 hours.

So, for support, this a success history (plus a bonus, because they’ve used their registry of solutions to provide a “solution”, for sure is great for a hardware company).

However, the sad truth is that nothing has been resolved (as if I wasn’t aware that 6.0 is out of support) and we’ll have to wait until some representative from OpenText provides us with the installers in order to perform the upgrade (assuming that OpenText has some interest in keeping customers that bother to upgrade their environments).

Filename in Documentum REST Services

If you have used Document REST Services you most likely have realized that downloading any content from an object return a “document”/”response” + dot + file extension.

You can check William Zhou’s answer here:

This had been discussed in the initial implementation but hadn’t been implemented since Content-Disposition response header is neither mandatory nor handled by all HTTP clients. Besides, it has some overhead to map the format/mime to a filename extension. But I think it has values helping for the download experience. It is appreciated if you can file a feature request CR so that we can discuss this with the product manager.

I’ve alredy raised a SR to support in order to get OpenText to consider adding this “feature”.

However, if you can’t/don’t want to wait, just “extend” com.emc.documentum.rest.controller.ContentMediaController adding the following line to the getContent method just before returning the response:

headers.setContentDispositionFormData("attachment", (String)co.getAttributeByName("object_name"));

and you’re good to go.

 

Updated roadmap, webinar and FAQ from OpenText Documentum

If you registered for the webinar OpenText held a few weeks ago (if you didn’t, maybe you can check Andrey’s post on the subject), you should have received an invitation to some site from OT with a FAQ about the Documentum stack. I’m not going to paste it here, just in case it’s not public, but IMHO, the highlights are:

  • Content Server: Aligment with ECD. No new features but trying to move to a microservices architechture. It probably means CS won’t evolve anymore.
  • Webtop: Several points on this. Will keep being supported and updated to support latest CS.
  • Rest: Every new product based on this. No mention about DFS (I hope it’s dead, unless they decide to update with libraries from this decade)
  • xCP: It looks like xCP 1.x support will be over by the end of 2019.
  • Support: Still through EMC’s site until the end of the year.

Support almost got it right

I was dealing with a problem with D2 (ha!), and suspected that I couldn’t be the first one having this issue so I decided to check support page. I found the problem and a “solution”, but I couldn’t avoid thinking about “Maybe OpenText will add value to Documentum after all” and the “talented team” when I saw the solution:

Clearing d2c_preferences object resolves issue, using the below DQL:
delete from d2c_preferences where object_name='<User Name>’

It was close enough to be filled as a solution, I guess 😀

Multiple environments with Tomcat/DA

Similar to the previous post about configuring dqMan/DQLTester (Multiple environments with dqMan/DQLTester), a Tomcat with DA can be configured the same way:

Folder structure:

  • da.bat
  • bin
  • conf
  • jre
  • lib
  • logs
  • webapps
  • properties
    • env1
      • dev
        • dfc.properties
        • dmcl.ini
      • prod
        • dfc.properties
        • dmcl.ini
    • env2
      • dev
        • dfc.properties
        • dmcl.ini
      • prod
        • dfc.properties
        • dmcl.ini
  • etc.

DA.bat:

@Echo off
SETLOCAL ENABLEEXTENSIONS
SET folderbase=dfcproperties

echo ****************
echo 1. env1 dev
echo 2. env2 prod
...
echo ****************

SET /p var= ^> Choose option: 

if "%var%"=="1" goto op1
if "%var%"=="2" goto op2
...

:op1
SET foldervar=%folderbase%\env1\dev
goto finish

:op2
SET foldervar=%folderbase%\env1\prod
goto finish
...

:finish
set JAVA_HOME=%cd%\jre
set JAVA_OPTS=-Ddfc.properties.file=%cd%\%foldervar%\dfc.properties -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Xms128m -Xmx512m -XX:+UseG1GC -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Djava.net.preferIPv4Addresses=true -Djava.net.preferIPv6Addresses=false -Djava.net.preferIPv6Stack=false

start "" /D %cd%\bin /B %cd%\bin\catalina.bat start
cls&exit